Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Baked Sweet Potato Fries


 True, once upon a time I published a recipe for baked sweet potato fries here.  But I really felt like these deserved a post all on their own... a slightly different variation, these are my absolute favorite vegetable side right now.  I've been making these at least once a week this winter and my entire family loves them.  In fact, this is the only way my husband will eat sweet potatoes!  They work great as a side dish and also as a satisfying snack.


 The hardest part about this recipe is the slicing.  Which means they are a cinch to make!  While I really love the small sweet potatoes for baking whole, the large work great for the fries because you don't have to peel as many potatoes.  Once you get a little assembly line going, you'll have the sticks sliced in no time.  In this case, the thinner the better too! 


  This recipe is for 3 large sweet potatoes, which is about 12 cups.  I know, that's a lot of sweet potatoes!  This amount feeds about 4-5 adults and I promise there will not be one left.  If you have a smaller family, you can easily cut the recipe in half. 


 I think the best part about these fries is the mixture that coats them: 3 Tbsp each of extra virgin olive oil, maple syrup and Dijon mustard.  So much flavor.  (Recipe adapted from My Father's Daughter cookbook.)


 Coat the fries evenly with the mixture (using your hands or a large spoon) and spread them into a pan for baking.


 Trust me on this one, place parchment paper in your baking pan first!  It not only makes clean up easier, but also helps when turning the fries.  Now place them into a 425 degree preheated oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes.  You will want to shake the pan every now and then or use a spoon to stir them around so they bake evenly and don't burn.  Also, watch them closely towards the end! 


 The fries are ready when they are slightly browned and crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. If you like your fries extra crispy, turn your broiler on and broil them for a few minutes, watching them closely to ensure they don't burn!  (This is how my family loves them!)   

(Note: I baked mine for 40 minutes and then broiled them for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.  However, cooking time and your preferences will vary so keep a close eye on the potatoes as they cook!)

New! I tried to do a printable recipe for you ... just click photo below to print.   

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9wsOJy-0yhNOFBJeWl0SFI5dzQ/view?usp=sharing

15 comments:

  1. These look sooooo good! I love sweet potato fries and always substitute them for regular fries, I just love that sweetness! And now I have a craving for them!!! These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sweetness too - they almost taste like dessert!

      Delete
  2. this is my absolute favorite. I don't eat them as much because no one else in the family likes them. Boo hoo. hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fabulous. Love the mixture you add.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I've been seeing your delicious looking recipes... anxious to try the stir fry you recently posted!

      Delete
  4. We love sweet potato fries, too!! Confession - I have never made my own, own...from scratch. I'm going to have to now. :)

    I like the idea of this sauce - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely... they are really very easy and so delicious!

      Delete
  5. This recipe sounds like another winner, Andrea! I visit your "from the kitchen" recipes often and we always enjoy them. These fries are on the menu tonight :) Deni

    P.S. I can't wait to see your new bathroom, I know you are so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear you enjoy the recipes! I hope you enjoy these.

      Yes, we are so excited about the bathroom! We're slowly making progress - working on the plumbing/electrical now and I've been busy picking out/purchasing everything. :-) I thought about sharing some of that - maybe I'll do so soon. :-)

      Delete
  6. I am saving this recipe to try. It sounds delicious. I haven't had sweet potato fries in a long time...too long! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these look really yummy. I will have to try and make these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very delicious recipe - healthy too. Love the way it is printable. I follow your blog regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yum!!! I'm going to have to make some now! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these for dinner last night and they are WONDERFUL!!! We both loved them! Thanks so much-marsha@tubbslanefarm.com

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign