Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Vintage Nursery


Today I thought I would share a tour of my daughter's nursery.  The warmth of the original beadboard walls were too beautiful to cover with paint, so my goal was soft, simple and romantic to keep the room from looking too dark.

I also wanted to be as resourceful as possible when decorating the room, so most of the items are local vintage finds.  For fun I thought I would share with you the price of each item I purchased.

Plates above bed: $8 


I found this vintage bedside table at our local antique mall.  I fell in love with the spindle legs.  On the lower shelf I purchased two vintage locker baskets to fill with lightweight blankets and burp cloths.

Table: $25
Vintage Lockers: $18 each


I found this lamp years ago at a little store before I was even married.  It has been a favorite lamp of mine since and somehow it seemed like it was meant for this room. 


Rosetta is our second daughter, so we had many items on hand already.  This picture is the first thing I purchased specifically for Rosetta's room.  I think the portrait of mother and daughter is beautiful.  The frame is original and made out of wood.

Frame and picture: $35


Oddly enough, this repurposed headboard at the foot of the bed gets the most inquiries.  I store larger blankets inside.


Although this is the only thing yellow in the room, it gives a pop of color.

Blanket Holder :$40


In the corner of the room is a rocker with a sweet crocheted blanket draped over the back that was a gift.

I love old crates, whether they are metal or wood, and I've used this old milk crate on the floor for storing toys. 


The antique mirror on the wall was given to me by a friend who found it at the dump!

Milk Crate: $25

Do you see the canning lid on the wall?  Apparently that is how "holes" were covered in the wood years ago!


On the opposite wall from the bed is the crib.  We changed the furniture around several times before deciding to place it underneath the mantle (the fireplace is closed up).  Originally this room was our guest room.  It is a very large room (15 x 15) so we were able to leave the Queen sized bed.

The bed skirt and quilt were made by my mom.  I just love the choice of fabric.  Soft and sweet. 


The crib was a gift from my mother-in-law for our first daughter and I'm so glad we can use it again, because it is truly beautiful.  Although it is new, the spindles give it such an old time look. 


I've limited the decorations on the mantle above the crib to very few things for safety reasons.  This Mother Goose book is an antique and the little box is a vintage find.

Book: $5
Box: $1


On the floor beside the crib is an old gasoline can.  I've always loved the color of the blue paint.

Can: $10


On the side wall is a piece of furniture I purchased for our first daughter's nursery.  I'm not sure what its purpose was and I've never seen a piece like it.  The top piece is attached to the lower buffet and is covered by a very thick piece of old glass.  Inside I store clothes.

This was probably one of my first vintage purchases... I'm pretty sure I heard my husband muttering, "What a piece of junk".  (smile)

On the left side of the buffet is a three-tiered basket caddy I found at Hobby Lobby.  I painted it white and I keep socks, shoes and other items in the baskets.


The fence on the wall is very sentimental to me.  My husband made it for me as a surprise birthday present about 8 years ago after I had admired something similar.

Yes, he is pretty special. 


Buffet: $50
Antique Bell: $10


The four teacups displayed on the buffet are from Anthropologie.

On the right side of the buffet is an old tin canister I found.  Inside I store diapers.

Tin Canister: $15


Hanging on the wall by the door is a picture of an ewe with her baby lamb. 

Frame and picture: $30


Sweet baby decor.


Of course this proud mommy has to show a picture of whom this room belongs to. Rosetta is almost 8 months old, sitting up by herself, and crawling.

She is precious. xo

37 comments:

  1. This is SO beautiful!!!! Love how awesome your pictures came out - they really portray how soft and sweet the room is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet room for your precious little girl! I love all of the vintage accents. You did an amazing job! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can really see how you've kept the personality and history of the room. I love that you kept the jar lid over the hole. Decorating with white but keeping the warmth of the floors and walls looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful room. I love the variety of textures and the vintage pieces! Darling baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found this through the My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia party and think it is such a beautiful room! The soft shades of white beautifully offset the dark timber walls and floors and it is such a pretty, classic space. Your gorgeous baby is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful room! I love all the vintage touches and your daughter is just precious. Newest follower--can't wait to check out the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosetta is a beautiful little girl in a very beautiful bedroom! I, too, am new...from My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia link party. I love each and every touch in this room. Your style is wonderful. I am so excited to see your other posts. Have a great week...Hugs, Jan

      Delete
  7. Thank you all for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute nursery filled with so many great vintage pieces. Thanks for sharing at Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words!

      Delete
  9. Such a beautiful nursery for a special little girl... Visiting from MMS!

    Rhonda @ home.made

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this room...everything has a story, which is so beautiful!!
    Thanks for sharing this and I'm from MMS to!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this room...everything has a story, which is so beautiful!!
    Thanks for sharing this and I'm from MMS to!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this, fantastic idea for holding all those little socks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cannot say how much I love this nursery. It feels so calm and serene. It is extremely feminine without being overy girly. You know, the rooms in pink from floor to ceiling or (in my opinion) artificially girly with disney princesses everywhere. I love your home. It looks like a photo shoot from Pottery Barn Kids. The natural wood is fantastic. You did a wonderful job and truly have a gift for decorating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I feel like I have a long way to go before my decorating looks like PB Kids, but what a sweet thing to say! ;-)

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous, simply gorgeous! I found you through Miss Mustard Seed's FFF party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a room that could be seen in a magazine. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How absolutely beautiful!!!!! I love all the little details, just lovely! Especially love those wire baskets! I'm your newest follower :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, how adorable! I love everything about it! Different, but still as sentimental as my baby's room! (http://www.becauseithinkican.com/2011/09/20/bird-mobile-done/)
    I imagine you and your home to be very warm and friendly... the perfect place and friend to have a cup of tea with! :)

    Leanne @ Because (I think) I Can

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic! I'm visiting from SNS and love the way you showcased everything and the prices you paid for your "treasures." I can't believe the fantastic character of your house- walls, windows, fireplace, etc.- I was surely born in the wrong part of the country as houses like that are few and far between here. Instead I've spent years making our 1982 ranch look old. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. An enchanting place to grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love those walls. I'm curious. I love rustic pieces like no one's business. Don't think I would get away with using anything with a hint of rust in the nursery though. Do you treat your items in case little roaming hands (and mouths) want to explore? Or am I just an over concerned worry wort?

    Gorgeous space! Wish I had the guts to do the same. Those walls, definitely though!
    Bernadette
    www.b3hd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernadette! Thank you. I appreciate your concern as this was a question of mine. However, from my research, the rust from steel (in this case sheet metal) is iron oxide. It occurs naturally and is generally considered nontoxic. However, I did clean the items in question thoroughly and I don't ever worry about my children chewing on these items as I am with them at all times when they are awake. If you know differently, please do let me know though! Personally, I am much more concerned about heavy toxic metals such as lead, cadmium, etc. that are found on a variety of products and surfaces that we come into contact with every day, not to mention the toxins that are found in food and chemicals. It is very important to keep our babies safe and I thank you for writing!

      Delete
  21. The room is beautiful but Princess Rosetta is gorgeous. Love both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! What a sweet little baby!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adorable baby and room! I absolutely love it! It is just my style too. I am your newest follower. I would love it if you would stop by my new blog and follow back if you like it. Thanks! http://www.applesandpnutbutter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a stunning nursery! This project would be perfect for our linky party featuring "Transformations" called Repurpose-Remodel-Reveal, I know our readers would love to see it too! (It starts tomorrow- Friday, March 16th 2012 at 7:00 am and reoccures every 1st and 3rd Friday)

    -Whitney @ TheRoosterAndTheHen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite, Whitney! I linked it up and loved looking at your fabulous blog. I'll be following!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, it was so fun to see you at the party! We're new GFC followers!

      Delete
  25. So beautiful! Truly gorgeous. Hugs and happy weekend wishes. P.S>Happy St. Pattys Day

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rosetta's room is just beautiful. And yes, she is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful room! I love all the vintage touches you incorporated. You've managed to make it both sweet and sophisticated. Wonderful job! (And I must say that Rosetta is indeed precious and quite a cutie!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful room..and I love the frame with baby lamb!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign