1. The friendships you will make... Sometimes what you least expect turns out to be the best part. I've developed so many friendships as a result of blogging and they feel very real. Often I feel that we have so much in common we would never run out of things to talk about. Not only have I formed friendships with fellow bloggers, but I also think of many readers as friends. I look forward to your visits and sweet comments more than anything else. They are often what encourage me to keep blogging!
2. Don't let anything stop you... I can't tell you how many times I have hesitated before publishing a blog post. (Oh yes, it will definitely happen with this post.) I can't tell you how many times I have felt like my blog posts are uninspiring and probably not worth sharing. But despite that, I am so thankful I kept posting away... blogging has made me grateful for many things in my life. I even started noticing little things I hadn't noticed before... like the new blossoms on a shrub and the way the start of a new season brings different scents and sounds. So if you ever feel the urge to start a blog, I say go for it!
3. Why do you blog... I really love blogging. Why? It's fun, it's rewarding, it's motivating, the list goes on and on. I started my blog on impulse but I did read a book prior to starting entitled "Blogging for Bliss". I think the title of the book sums up my feelings about blogging to this day.
4. But it takes time and effort... When I first started blogging, my husband would frequently ask me if I enjoyed it. When I answered yes, he would jokingly respond, "Good, because it sure takes a lot of time!" And I really feel like this is true... blogging does take a lot of time and effort, so I think it's important to enjoy it. My husband hasn't asked me this question in a long time... I guess he knows what my answer will be now!
5. Capturing moments on camera... Developing a love of photography is something that has only happened since my blog. I didn't even know how to turn a DSLR camera on! Gradually during the past year I learned a little more as I went along, simply by trial and error. It was a long time before I turned my camera to manual mode (yes, I had to google YouTube videos to figure out which button did what!) and I'm still learning. But taking photos has turned out to be my favorite part of a blog post. I love trying to capture a moment and I love trying to tell a story from a photo. My camera is always nearby and I reach for it often to capture little things I enjoy. Some of the photos get shared, but many are just random snapshots.
6. Why did you start a blog anyway... Every now and then I get asked this question and I have to take a deep breath. The easy answer is since that first day I discovered that there was such a thing as a blog, I have loved reading and discovering new blogs. It was (and still is) like getting my favorite magazine on a frequent basis! But, the hard and personal answer is... last year around this time my husband had made the decision to dissolve his (our) business of 8 years that he had put everything into and we were left picking up all the broken pieces. It could have been so much worse, and I think we recognized that we had the important things to be thankful for, but it was still a difficult experience. My husband took the first job he found, which meant he worked many weekends and evenings. It was then, at the end of the day, when the girls were tucked into bed, I started my blog and began writing. I guess you could say it was a little therapeutic for me. Now I can happily say that my husband found a wonderful job about 6 months ago that he enjoys (not to mention the fact that he is home for supper each night and weekends) and we recognize now that dissolving the business was the right thing.
7. Let's get personal... I think there are probably quite a few people that I know that consider me to be a private person. Then why do I have such a personal blog? Hm, good question. I think the answer to that is writing sometimes comes easier for me than talking. (Unless I really know you, and then I'll talk your ear off!) I remember even as a little girl I had a journal and I kept one all the way until I married. Now that I think about it, I suppose that I still do keep a journal - just a very public one - ha!
8. I think I'm getting used to it now... For a long time, only a handful of people I actually know knew about my blog. Then I was a finalist for the Country Living award, and well, I think everybody knows now! Recently I received a birthday card in the mail from our friend who is in her 80's and when I opened it up it said, "Make Justus cook the biscuits." (Yes, she was referring to my biscuit post.) I laughed out loud out at the mailbox! I think it was then I realized I'm getting used to the people I love and know so well reading my blog!
9. There's always reality... My huge to-do list this week isn't filled with fun, interesting projects; it's simply filled with reality. My husband is a great sport, but he still rolls his eyes every time I take a picture of him; my oldest daughter loves to call me "mommy blogger" while giggling because she knows everyone will laugh and her mommy will get embarrassed; there's still loads of laundry to do, and dishes to put away. Maybe that's why it's so appealing to take photos of pretty things! (smile)
|While we're getting personal, this is more along the lines of what our house looks like on a daily basis!|
These random thoughts have been on my mind for a while now, probably since it's been over a year now since I started my blog. I thought it was probably about time I shared a little more about myself (smile).
More than anything, I want you to know how much I appreciate your visits, sweet comments, and emails. They are like little rays of sunshine in my day!