Saturday, January 25, 2014

Our Farmhouse Kitchen


 A few months ago we put up the final piece of trim, so to speak, in our kitchen.  As it's been a little by little, step by step project the past few years, I can't tell you what a wonderful feeling that was!  Many of you have seen pictures of our kitchen already, and really little has changed, other than the east side of the kitchen where the range sits.  But I'll go ahead and show photos of the entire kitchen this time, all in one post, and include links to previous posts about the kitchen projects.  

BEFORE:

 

 You may remember this photo of what the kitchen looked like when we did the first walk through of our home.  Dreary, outdated, and crowded with very little useable space. I do cringe every time I see this photo - we definitely had the work cut out for us, all with other priorities and a budget! 

AFTER:

 

 After removing the cardboard ceiling tiles, the original beadboard ceiling was revealed, and we then painted, painted, painted.  We left the original cabinets, as they were solid oak and in great condition.  We installed new hardware, and still my favorite, reclaimed wood countertops from 100 year old barn wood that my husband, Justus, and father-in-law built.  I think that was a true example of the power of paint, as it truly transformed the room with very little cost. 

(You can read the original kitchen post here.  
You can read more about painting cabinets here.)


Once the cardboard tiles were removed, it left a little gap between  the cabinets and the ceiling, so we installed trim to bridge the gap and give a cohesive look.  Last year we installed new flooring in the kitchen and laundry room.

 

 The cast iron enamel coated sink is original to the house and last year we refinished it, and installed a new faucet as well.  Justus and I always strive to use or restore original parts of our home as much as we can (although not always possible) - I love this old sink, especially since it has a connection to our farmhouse.  I think it definitely set the tone for what I envisioned for our kitchen.

(You can read more about the sink project here.)

 

This is a corner of the west side of the kitchen, after entering from the dining room. 

 

  Recently Justus built a reclaimed wood shelf with pegs for this wall to match the wood shelves on the opposite side of the kitchen and to give us some additional storage.  (Since the dishwasher is located here, we wanted to leave plenty of clearance on the lower half of the wall.)

 

 BEFORE:

 

 This is the east side of the kitchen, and an area I'm not sure that I've ever shown much.  This really shows that although the kitchen is a nice size, only half of it had cabinet and countertop space.  Needless to say, when we moved in, I really had to go through every little thing, only keeping those items that we truly needed.  For a long time I cooked in that tiny little corner to the right of the stove! 

AFTER:

 

 I could not wait to tear out the old ineffective range vent!  Justus removed the little cabinet above the range and built a custom range hood with a fan that vents outdoors.  I laugh while I write that, because it sounds so simple, but Justus had his work cut out for him on that project for numerous reasons.

 

 Not only was it a functional addition - one I use every day - but it also improved the kitchen aesthetically, particularly since one has this view clear to the front entrance of our home.  

We also purchased a new range last year.  I had this model picked out for a long time!  Since I couldn't afford a Viking, this was the best alternate option (wink - wink).  It has three racks for cooking, a convection option and I love its large window. 

 

 Justus installed the pine planking horizontally as backsplash to match the rest of the new additions in the kitchen.  

(To read more about our reclaimed wood butcher block countertops, click here.
To read more about caring for butcher block countertops, click here.)

 

BEFORE:

 

 This is the other half of the east wall.  When we moved in, we turned our refrigerator so it was facing the other way and brought in a large table, but it was only last year that we finally found a solution to adding some additional built in space.

AFTER:

 

 The first step was building a built in cabinet around the refrigerator.  From there, Justus built an open lower cabinet and we purchased 8' of oak butcher block from Ikea. 

(You can read more about the built in refrigerator cabinet here.)

 

 Having this additional countertop space has made me love our kitchen!  Finally I could get out of that little corner for cooking and it made a world of difference.  Our kitchen feels spacious and so much more open.  

(You can read about building the lower cabinet and installing the countertop here.)

 

(This is my view out the window here - I love to check on our chickens throughout the day while I'm cooking.)


 When we purchased a new range, we went ahead and purchased a new matching refrigerator as well (both from Maytag).  I know most are fond of stainless steel, but somehow I've just always loved white appliances and it seemed more fitting for our kitchen. 

 

 A while back, we also built open reclaimed wood shelving next to the refrigerator cabinet.  I refer to this part of the kitchen as my baking section.  It's convenient to the pantry too, which is nice.

(You can read about the reclaimed wood shelving project here.)

BEFORE:

 

 And finally, this is the other side of the west wall, which leads into the laundry room.  

AFTER:


This is an area we didn't do anything other than add some furniture.  While I love our built-in additions, these two stand alone pieces seem fitting for a farmhouse kitchen.  The large white beadboard cabinet came with us in our move, and it fit perfectly in this corner and works great as a pantry. I've always felt like it was meant for that corner!


 I kind of think of the wood cabinet as an extension of our pantry... it (lately) stores canned goods on the shelves and hides snacks and storage containers inside. 


Thanks for touring our kitchen!  I know I've probably exhausted you with all these photos and talking (smile).  There is nothing in our kitchen that is perfect - but, although challenging, we embrace the imperfections of living in an 80 year old farmhouse and try to make choices in our projects that fit the style of our home.  The kitchen truly is the heart of our home, and I hope that it gives feelings of warmth, comfort, simplicity and functionality.

If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer!

80 comments:

  1. Rose D. Frenchtown, NJJanuary 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

    Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is so beautiful! I love its farmhouse feel. Great job! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a change. Very beautiful, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of work but what a wonderful finished result. Love the solution for the window area.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely Amazing, Andrea! You and Justus have really made a wonderful transformation, and I know you enjoy every minute in there. I'm glad to see Nola the Owl is still hanging around. I loved her so much in your kitchen, I had to order one last year. Everyone that sees her comments on how cute she is. She just winks and smiles :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omgoodness, Simply Heart filled... and isnt that the way a kitchen is suppose to be... Its where family comes together... I could read this post over and over.... Loved it all... Great job...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is exactly what I love about it...nothing perfect, which makes it perfect:-) I also love that youj dont' have stainless steel and that you reused and reclaimed so much. So much character...American farmhouse. It's so nice to see your pickles sitting out...my mom went crazy canning pickles here this year so we are enjoying them this winter. Love your Pyrex too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love, love, love this! what a beautiful example of how to do a renovation while not losing the original charm. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow- what a difference! it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd feel right at home here. Love the classic feel. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful!! Love your ceiling, and your countertop!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andrea it is so lovely. Every single part of it shows the love that went into putting it all together. May you have many great memories in your home and beautiful kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have the perfect kitchen...everything goes together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Incredible. Oh how I wish. Faith just showed Donnie oak before and white after. She did a great job "pleading" for an update.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Incredible. Oh how I wish. Faith just showed Donnie oak before and white after. She did a great job "pleading" for an update.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking out of the window while you are preparing a meal on the extended counter, I can see you smile. Simplicity and vintage Farmhouse kitchen. Beautiful. Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your kitchen is gorgeous! I love the bright white, open feel, but it looks so perfect for the age and character of the home. Love how many original details you kept!

    Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your kitchen transformation is absolutely amazing.

    WELL DONE, you both deserve applause!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Andrea- You sure had your work cut out for you there. You did a magnificent job pulling everything together. It looks absolutely wonderful. I love your choices. I have stainless steel and I really hate the upkeep on it. I should have learned from my last kitchen but got talked into it AGAIN in this house. lol Never again...although I DO like the way it looks I like the looks of the white-it just looks clean and fresh to me. You're an inspiration! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your country kitchen is the heart of your home. You guys have done an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's a wonderful farmhouse kitchen, Andrea! You and Justus have really worked hard and created a charming and functional space. Your photos are gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your kitchen and what a great job. I also like the white appliances. Everything looks terrific.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your farmhouse kitchen looks wonderful. I love it all.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it's beautiful! So sparkling and inviting! I love the little scales on top of the wood cabinet because it reminds me of one we had at my home when I was a child. I shall be on the lookout to buy one for my kitchen :) Thanks for a lovely tour!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That turned out beautiful. I love an all white kitchen, I got great ideas for mine. I want butcher block and would love your sink!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your kitchen is beautiful! I have been debating whether or not to paint my cabinets. Your kitchen is definitely a vote for painting! I didn't see a microwave? Is it hidden or do you live without one? I would like to get rid of mine but wonder how much I would miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dyanna. No, we do not have a microwave. When we moved there really wasn't room for one, so I decided to go without. I've gotten so used to going without that I don't even think about it now. I melt butter on the stove, heat leftovers in the oven and if I need to thaw something frozen quickly, I put it in a bowl of warm water. Truly, I don't think you'll miss it all once you get used to it. :-)

      Delete
  27. What a Fantastic post. Every step was explained so well. My daughter and son-in-law just bought a 70 year on little house. It's going to need a lot of work also. Your post was so encouraging with before and after pictures and what you can do yourself. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. what a labor of love. wow. beautiful to see everything in one post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your farmhouse kitchen is so functional and so so so beautiful. I love your farmhouse sink. Wow ~ I could live in this kitchen ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your kitchen and all your white appliances. I especially love the sink. Are your floors wood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina. No, the floors are actually wood laminate. We went that route after a lot of thought because they are so family friendly and easy to care for. We love them!

      Delete
  31. Really beautiful!! I love all of the white. We went with white appliances as well. I'm not a stainless steel kinda gal!! : ) The light streaming into your kitchen looks wonderful with all of the whiteness!! Just found your blog today. Looking forward to reading some past posts!! : )

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Its got to feel so good to have it finally done. How could you not love cooking in that bright, lovely kitchen. I am sure the rest of the family is drawn to keep you company in there too, especially with all that wonderful cooking/canning you do. Beautifully done Andrea and Justus!

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your kitchen is perfect farmhouse! My favourite. I wish I had one like it. Enjoy! J

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your kitchen is lovely! Thanks so much for sharing your progress!

    (I like white appliances too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your kitchen is wonderful. I appreciate the way you and your husband made choices and completed your kitchen renovation. You have created a space that is truly you and your family. My favorite thing is the new counter space between the refrigerator and stove. You must just love gazing at your coop and yard through the window. Your husband trimmed out that spot just perfectly. Congratulations on your kitchen completion!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Andrea, I really enjoyed your before and after pictures! Your kitchen turned out beautifully. Friends of ours gave us a sink just like yours and we haven't installed it yet. I was wondering how you liked using it? Its shallow right? Does that hinder you at all? Thanks again for showing us your wonderful renovations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny! I love using our kitchen sink. You know what is funny? I never noticed until your comment that the sink might be a little shallow. I guess that means it isn't a hindrance. :-) I do think a faucet with plenty of clearance is nice though to accommodate large pots, etc. I hope you enjoy yours! The drainboards particularly are nice when washing dishes.

      Delete
  37. You and your hubby have done a remarkable job in renovating your kitchen...it is just stunning...enjoyed the before and afters...love that fabulous shelf. I have so very much enjoyed seeing the progress of the kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your kitchen is just beautiful! You have done such a great job. I love the rug in front of your sink. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow your kitchen is absolutely beautiful!! The transformation is truly amazing! Love the mixture of white and wood!

    ReplyDelete
  40. It looks wonderful, Andrea. I love that you all have put so much thought and detail in it. It was actually the first time I had seen the before pictures. Wow is right! You are both very talented. Thank you for sharing your kitchen with us! Justus reminds me of a younger version of my husband. lol We are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I just love your kitchen - it is so comfy and cozy just like the rest of your house. That is my dream someday is to buy an old house and fix it up. I live in a townhouse right now and fixing things up little at a time. I just love antiques and old things. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  42. WOW what a fantastic change and update. This is so beautiful and charming. You should be so very proud!!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  43. You & your family did an awesome job! It has a true farmhouse feel! I love that tall white cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful kitchen and incredible transformation!! My husband and I are looking at some fixer uppers and may need to take a page out of your book as we are looking at some pretty outdated kitchens! Thanks!

    gumptiousliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Valerie @ Accidental Hayseed says:
    Your kitchen looks fantastic - just right. Except your refrigerator door opens the wrong way. FYI: all refrigerator door handles can be switched to open the other way without any additional purchase. I'm sure Justus can do it. Go online to see instructions from your manufacturer. Just thought you'd want to know. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Valerie... we know, but unfortunately we can't reverse the handle as the wall on that side would prevent the door from opening all the way. It sure would be more convenient though! It's just one of those things that has to be wrong. :-)

      Delete
  46. Hi Andrea,
    I love your kitchen and the entire home. It truly is a "cozy" little farm house. I remember you mentioning that you live in Tennessee. Are you close to Knoxville? My husband and I will be moving there later this year.
    Thanks for sharing your home with us,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa! No, we live about four hours or so from Knoxville... closer to the AL line. :-) That is a beautiful part of the state though!

      Delete
  47. This is a very special post, your kitchen is so homey, clean and bright. I love the windows and the view and most of all the range hood that vents to the OUTSIDE! That's the one thing I would like to change about our kitchen. You and Justus are a great team and you home reflects that perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I just love your kitchen!!! it truly reflects that is where the heart of your home is :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. I loved seeing all the pictures in one place--so easy to envision it all with the before & after. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Lovely kitchen. What a great job you did. Enjoy your beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love everything about your kitchen! We are in the planning stages of redoing our very dated kitchen as well, but I don't think my range is going to make it much longer so that project has moved front and center. Would love to know what brand yours is as I love all of its qualities that you mentioned. I have been looking around a bit but it sounds like you have already done the research for me! Thanks--Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, I'm so sorry for the delay in answering your question. I ordered our range from Lowe's... it's made by Maytag and here is the link: http://www.lowes.com/pd_387998-46-MER8775AW_0__?productId=3652774&Ntt=white+maytag+range&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dwhite%2Bmaytag%2Brange&facetInfo= I am so happy with it!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much!

      Barbara

      Delete
  52. Your kitchen makeover is one of the best I have ever seen. I fell in love with your kitchen a long time ago when I first found your blog, you may remember giving me painting tips on my own kitchen not to long ago. I'm am so happy for you and your finished project. The two of you did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Love, love, love your kitchen it is amazing. I have seen it before, but it was fun to see it again. I would love for you to link up your projects to my Inspire Me Tuesday party that goes live every Monday evening. Always fun to have new additions and we do get fabulous traffic so a great place to find new followers too. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  54. So light and airy! I love how you worked in more counter space yet left the window to allow for lots of light! I bet you are SO happy when you are cooking meals for your family in there!

    ReplyDelete
  55. When I was reading this post, my four year old son was sitting next to me on the sofa. When he caught a glimpse of your kitchen, he said "ohhh, I really like that kitchen, I could live there!". And you know kids tell it like is. :) I have to agree with him. Your home makes us want to move right into the coziness you have created. Love it.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wow what a massive change! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Love your kitchen!! So beautiful!! Wondering where you got your cabinet hardware?? Looking for something very similar! Thanks!!

    Liana Garmon

    ReplyDelete
  58. Just found your blog through FamHouse Style e-magazine. What a beuatiful home and blog! I will definitely be subscribing to it and look forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  59. A long time ago - (early 70's maybe?) I had that very same dinner service (white with brown flowers, splashes of blue, yellow & red). If I remember correctly I purchased it by the piece but I don't think it was from a store?? It's a little fuzzy but I don't remember walking into Macy's and buying the set if you know what I mean.
    Please remind me where the set comes from - you must know :)
    And from someone who grew up in a farm house and still loves home - I have to say your house 'feels' just right! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The platter and dishes are a combination of Johnson Brothers Staffordshire Bouquet and Devon Sprays. :-) Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  60. Spectacular! I especially like the shelf in front of the window -- what a clever idea. You did a fabulous job on the kitchen makeover. I love that you reused/kept as much as possible. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Just found your blog and have enjoyed sifting through your posts. Love the kitchen make over. Just amazing what paint can do. I just purchased a small farmhouse and I can't wait to get relocated and into it. The first day I am walking in with my White Benjamin Moore in hand. That paint costs a bit more but I think it is well worth the extra money. You did a wonderful kitchen makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I just ran across your blog and pics! Love the look of everything, but my question is: where's your microwave??
    We purchased an old cottage style house a few years ago and our kitchen remodel is still a work in progress. We had all stainless appliances in our previous house and those came with us when we moved, but just like you, I replaced them all with bright white! We have a gas range, and again just like you, I couldn't afford what I really wanted (a vintage Chamber's like my grandmother had...Oh what I wouldnt do to have that stove back!). So anyway, I got one that looked the part...its a 5 burner and has a 2 piece cast iron grate top with convection oven. We're mounting our microwave above the stove...where is yours hiding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet words, Natalie! Your home sounds lovely. We actually do not have a microwave. Due to limited room, I decided to forego one as we rarely used it and I honestly have not missed it once. :-)

      Delete
  63. This is one of the most amazing transformations I’ve ever seen! Your kitchen is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Your kitchen looks wonderful! I know you are so proud of it! :)


    ReplyDelete
  65. Truly beautiful! Love everything – from your new kitchen,You did an amazing job. 

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign