Monday, November 5, 2012

Curtains are Hung!


We have curtains up in the living room!  I do realize that is not a very exciting statement, but I really would rather not mention exactly how long we've had bare windows in our living room.  I put off and put off purchasing fabric to make drapes... I didn't know what to buy, I didn't really want to pay for it, and our living room was still in such a state of disarray from our ceiling renovation that it was kind of a moot point anyway. 


 But now that painting is the only work remaining in the room, I was ready to make a decision and get some drapes hung!  I loved the thought of a pattern but I just could not find the right one.  For one thing, we have a red couch and a red plaid chair, so that limits the color.  Also, the living room flows to so many other rooms in our house that it needed to stay somewhat neutral.  Finally it hit me a couple weeks ago that the same linen I used on our dining room chairs would be perfect.  The fabric is a little pricey, but I do think it's timeless and will coordinate so well with the rest of our home. 


I choose to not purchase drapes pre-made for a few reasons.  The biggest reason is that our ceiling height is not standard, so sizes sold are either too short or too long.  I also love the fact that if you purchase drapery fabric on a bolt, the width (I think about 55") is enough to actually make your drapes usable.  What I mean by that is I can simply pull the drapes so that they cover the entire window when it gets dark out and during the day we don't have any blinds to obstruct the view looking out.


One of my favorite ways to pull a room together is hanging drapes.  My personal preference is to position drapery rods a good distance above the top of the window frame so that it gives the appearance of a tall room.  I also position the rods at least 4" to the side of each window frame so that it maximizes the amount of light coming in. 


In some cases, I think a little pooling is beautiful... that's what I was going for in our dining room where I wanted it to look a little more "formal", but here in the living room I wanted the drapes to simply touch the floor. 


Although progress in our living room has been slow, it's always such a nice feeling to be so close to finished!  The overall color scheme isn't changing, but the improvements made are things that make me appreciate the room so much more.  Hanging curtains is just motivating me to finish up the painting (and that's how I justified hanging them now)!  (smile)

Hope you have a wonderful week!

28 comments:

  1. I like the curtains that you chose, just enough of treatment for the window.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The curtains you've sewn finish off your room nicely. I'm with you in that I don't like curtains cutting off natural light. Your beadboard walls make your room so cozy and the white trim pops against them. One more thing to check off your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your drapes look wonderful. I like my own off the windows during the daytime, too- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job. They finish off your room nicely. Looks wonderful!!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just moved to this new home so I don't have window treatments in the living room or adjagent morning room yet. They both have to be the same so that is a challenge. I am debating what I want to do. LOVE your new drapes, they look vERY pretty. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey they look great ! I love the wood on your living room walls !

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look wonderful!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful...thanks for the tips on hanging them high and wider than the window. I am really picky about window treatments and didn't have curtains in our living room for three years!

    Keep up the good work! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new window treatments look fabulous against the beadboard. The linen is timeless and you'll never tire of it. I just finished making a cotton centerpiece for my Thanksgiving table, and I couldn't help noticing yours. This has really been the year for cotton!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful curtains on a beautiful window in a beautiful room with a beautiful girl peeking outside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, neutral is the only way to go when you want the drapes to be there for a very long time! It's so easy to add pops of colour in the things that aren't permanent. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the fabric...great choice...I know, you ponder and ponder over decisions and then all of a sudden you get that "epiphany"....They look beautiful against those fantastic walls!!....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those walls are gorgeous, and your drapes let them be the star. I know what you mean about wanting to use pattern. I love pattern and color and tend to want to use them on everything, but I'm learning that there can be too much of a good thing. :-) Think you made a lovely choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your curtains add such a nice softening touch. Your home always looks so warm and inviting.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am drooling over those baseboards and the window trim!!! LOVE .... curtains are perfect!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the simpleness and they way you hung them much higher than the window. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your choice of linen. I made linen panels for my living and dining rooms about a year ago. I hung them up to the ceiling too. :o) I think everything you do and all that you accomplish is amazing...with 2 small children I don't know how you have time for home improvement projects anyway! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks beautiful, my friend! Perfect.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness you did an excellent job on your drapes!! They are gorgeous. I so agree that the color and material you chose is timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Andrea,
    Oh, I love your curtains!! They look so beautiful, the texture and the colour are a very nice contrast to those amazing walls.
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Actually, new curtains in the living room IS exciting! I am totally with you on that one because my living room windows have been bare for 6 months now! We had our living room repainted 6 months ago and I didn't like my old curtains, so I donated them. We have odd-sized windows too, so I have the same problem you did - standard sizes are either too short or too long. And I don't sew. :-( So, I guess the only choice I have is to either buy the too-long standard ones and have them hemmed, or pick out material (which I hate doing) and have someone make curtains for me. I love yours - they look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The drapes look lovely! It looks like the same fabric I've used for a number of different projects. It's sturdy and easy to work with. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look very nice! Love the walls too!
    Nothing on my windows yet, I have no idea what I'm going to do yet. We still have to finish some painting and I will get my new couch next week, so little by little....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your drapes look so nice. The fabric is gorgeous. It look like your room is coming together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your curtains look great! I wish I could sew. :) Have a great week! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  26. They look beautiful! I am a drape person too, when my windows are bare I feel like they are naked:), but I am with you, it does take time to pull it all together, awesome job Andrea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your new curtains looks so nice! It's amazing what a little fabric can do for a space don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Perfect choice, neutral and natural! It will work with anything you decided to do down the road. These beauties were worth the wait!

    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign