Sunday, November 18, 2012

Winter Frosting


 This week I've felt like I've had a constant lump stuck in my throat as comments were left on my previous post.  I can hardly express how touched I have been by the genuine, sweet comments and emails.  Although this seems so inadequate, I just wanted to say thank you.  

I had actually planned on sharing more pictures from our New York trip (and I still do), but as typically happens on my blog, we do something or I have a particular thought on my mind and that's what I end up wanting to write about! 


The weather was so beautiful this weekend that yesterday my husband suggested a ride in the Jeep to my parents' farm.  Brainstorming as usual, I asked if we could pick up some pine cones and other goodies since I had in mind exchanging pumpkins for winter elements around our home. 

(Note: We just recently "acquired" this old Jeep... it's been in our family as long as I can remember.   In fact, my brother and I learned how to drive in this Jeep.  Every time we go for a little ride, I think of us barreling down country dirt roads in it together when we were growing up.) 


 So we went down to the nut trail and walked and looked for a few treasures we could bring back home. 


Hickory nuts were scattered everywhere...


 And by the time we left, I could even distinguish a hickory tree from other trees.  See the bark peeling?  A sure sign of a hickory tree.


Later, after the girls napped, we went outside and added some pine cones and leyland cypress branches that we found at the back of our property to our collection. 


Recently at the Country Living event, Rust-Oleum told us about this glitter spray paint and they mentioned using it to spray pine cones for the holidays.  I loved the idea and wouldn't you know it, when I came home I had a package from them which included some glitter spray paint.   I wouldn't consider myself much of a gold glitter person, but I thought it would be fun to try it out. 


 So I spread the pine cones and hickory nuts out and sprayed a little of the glitter paint. 


 And I just love the way they transformed!  Instead of the glitter coming out in big flecks, it's just a little shimmer, not overwhelming at all. 


You can continue to spray the glitter as heavy as you desire... but I liked just a light little sprinkling.  Rust-Oleum also mentioned using a clear sealer, which I sprayed lightly, and it helps prevent the glitter from coming off as much. 


Meanwhile, Justus was working around outside and suggested a light spray on the cypress branches too.   (He's really the creative one out of the two of us.) He even took a break to hold them so I could do a quick even spray.


 It makes me think of looking outside in the morning and seeing nature covered in a light frost. All of a sudden I was picturing snowflakes and hot chocolate and cozy Saturdays indoors.


 It seems hard to believe that winter is almost around the corner, but this weekend I was remembering all the things I love about the season.

You may have already tried this idea or know about it, but I thought I'd share it with you just in case you want to bring a little winter frosting inside too (smile).

Sharing at Savvy Southern Style

33 comments:

  1. What a perfect day and I must try that paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is lovely--i'm not much for glitter, but this hint of shimmer is nice

    ReplyDelete

  3. What a lovely way to spend a nice family day.. Making memories and learning
    new skills.. Gotta love that..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun outing resulting in some beautiful things for your cottage.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful day, andrea:) love the light dusting of glitter on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I like the light sprinkling, Andrea. Perfect!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea ~ I love the way you sprayed these. A light cover is just perfect. I have got to go and get some of this. You sound like me. We have Hickory Nut trees here in Ontario and Mr. V. and I go hickory nut hunting every year. Terry's mom used to make cookies with the Hicory Nuts. Now I'm going to paint them. Thank you so much for the wonderful inspiration ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tend to like things in their natural state, but even I'm liking the look of this glitter for the holidays. Might have to try this one. (And love that picture of your girl looking back at you in the Jeep!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE how the pine cones and everything else turned out with the glitter spray. I'm not a big glitter person but I really seem to gravitate towards it with holiday ornaments. I cannot wait to try this out! I'm off to read your last post that I missed. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving celebrating with your beautiful family! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just the right amount of shimmer...I have to make a trip to Home Depot tomorrow so I will look for it. Thanks! Love your pics...you have a wonderful family!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omgosh- How lovely. It is just enough "glitz" to be pretty without being overdone. I love the way they turned out. What a fun day you had with your family and that sweet Jeep- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great idea! Love the jeep! !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I like that paint. And the jeep.....how fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have tried them all but not the glitter paint. just love the pic of your daughter in the back of the jeep!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the way the pinecones look with the glitter paint. I will be on the lookout for some for our house.

    Love seeing your hubby holding the greenery. What fun your sweet family has together. You are so truly blessed.

    Love ya girl...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will have to look for that glitter spray! You're right, it adds just the right amount of shine.
    I'm excited to know that those are hickory nuts. I gathered some when I visited South Carolina and brought them home with me to Oregon, but had no idea what they were!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will definitely buy the glitter spray. Very excited to spray the pinecones i just got from my pop and maybe some acorns to :}. Thanks for the heads up.
    Ohhh and I hear ya on old family cars. I have been looking for an old station wagon just like we used to have when I was a kid .I think the kids will get a kick out of the back seat thats backwards and how the big back window rolls down AND BLOWS YOUR HAIR ALL OVER CREATION ;].

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how the pinecones look frosty with just a little sparkle . I'll be picking up some rustoleum glitter for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You may not consider yourself a glitter girl but those turned out beautifully! I think the light dusting was just the perfect touch.
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love glitter so this spray is right up my alley! Your kids always look so at home in the great outdoors. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such great photography! Ok, heres my love list.. the green of the jeep with your blonde daughter in a hot pink sweater, the shot of the nuts, and your husbands genius idea to spray the greens. They look fab and i would have never thought to spray that part. Can't. Wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rust-oleum does it again. What haven't they thought of? I like that you took natural elements and gave them just enough shimmer to make them look holiday-ish. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I so love hearing about your precious family, and seeing the beauty that surrounds your home. It is so pretty where you live! And loving the Jeep!
    I had no idea the spray could look like that, picking some up today. I am not a "glitter person", but that is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful day with the family....Love Hickory trees!...that paint is fantastic...really need to try it...but I will make sure that I do not make a mess in the yard again...as I did the last time...the large white spot is still in the grass!!....
    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. gorgeous, photos of those pretty things you found in the woods. hooray, you! for winning. for writing. for making it all happen here online. enjoy thanksgiving. so nice to meet you in nyc. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Andrea,

    This is amazing....I love your photography and the glitter is the perfect finish! I need to try this project!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, so pretty! Just the right amount of sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That sounds like such a good day. I love how your sparkle project turned out. I like a light touch with that sort of thing too. Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a lovely day and you have created such wonderful little treasures for your home. Glitter is so fun over the holidays! Love all those fall leaves :)

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful family outing. I love the way the glitter spray paint looks on the pinecones, nuts, and especially the evergreens. I thought some of the nuts looked slightly reminiscent of jingle bells in the pic. I just found your blog over at Brenda's Cozy Inspirations. So glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Spray paint is amazing. I'm not much of a painter but I think I could do this...and I did not know about it so thanks for sharing! I just read another post somewhere about chalk board spray paint which I didn't know about either. I need to get out more. :o) I love cypress. It's my favorite along with boxwood. Enjoy your weekend. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a great idea and I love how the glitter spray paint added a little shimmer,

    ReplyDelete
  33. Andrea, thanks for telling us about the glitter spray. I have not used that product but I'm going to look for it. I've already glittered up my pinecones, but really like the idea of spraying the cypress. That photo of your daughter is precious!

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign