Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Apples and Pie

 This past week our neighbor down the road graciously offered to let us pick some apples off her tree.  Jillian and I left one morning with a bucket and picked away.   We used to have an apple tree at our previous house and we miss it... planting an apple tree this year is definitely still on our "to do" list.
 It was a beautiful morning and our neighbor's house on the corner is one of my favorites.  She has flowers and shrubs planted all around and a gorgeous old porch. 
We laughed while picking the apples, especially when one fell on my head (smile). 
That afternoon I had a thousand other things I should have been doing, but I couldn't wait to bake a pie with the apples we had picked. 

If you are intimidated by making your own pie crust, I assure you that I have felt the same, but I've found that the time and effort is truly worth it.  And every time seems to get a little easier...
I usually bake while the girls are napping and the quiet along with the afternoon sun streaming in the windows always feels peaceful. 

I use this recipe by The Pioneer Woman for the crust.  It truly makes the pie.  I see the ingredient list provided online is a little different than the book, which is what I use, but the instructions are the same and the parchment paper trick really works!  Here is the ingredient list I use, which comes from her cookbook :

2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter, cut into chunks
1/4 cup cold water (although I've personally found that you need more like 1/2 cup)

Old Fashioned Apple Pie Recipe

Pastry for 2-crust 9-inch pie
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
6-8 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
Butter
1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling on the top crust (I use Turbinado sugar)

Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry and prick a few times with a fork.  Combine 2/3 cup of sugar, cinnamon and salt.  Place your apples in the pie shell and pour the sugar mixture all over the apples.  Dot with butter (I probably use about 2 Tbsp, sliced thinly).  Place your remaining pastry over the top of the filling.  Flute the edges and cut slits in the top crust.  Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar over the top crust.  Bake at 425 degrees for 50 minutes.

26 comments:

  1. I'm totally intimidated to make pie crust, I've never been able to get it right. This looks so yummy though, I may have to try again. Thanks for the recipe, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. This makes me long for the cool crisp days of fall. Cute cute pictures of your daughter. Love the close up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't beat the satisfaction of making a pie! Yours looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that book. Pie crusts have always intimidated me. Meringue I can do. Your pie and apple photos are so lovely. Not to mention you sweet daughter's beaming smile!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right! The more often you do it (make your own crust)... the easier it is to do.

    Yours looks so delish! I love fluted edges, just so...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have made 2 pies in my whole life. Not too impressive! I'm more of a cookie and cake girl but I think I may try this. Your photos are stunning. Lovely post. I'm pinning it for later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are constantly impress me with all of your many talents. Your pie looks incredible.

    I bet your little beauty got a big kick out of mom having an apple drop on her head.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making apple pie is one of our favorite things to do! Although I'm not really the pie maker (Cane is). I just love the process. You captured it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I am not a pie maker but you may have just inspired me to give it a try (again!)
    Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i haven't baked an apple pie in ages--yours makes me want to, andrea! (i cannot boil water, but, i can bake:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea I am such a big fan of your blog! YOu could not have picked a better blog name. I feel so cozy and calm when I come to visit!
    I saw that you posted your FABULOUS flag on TUTORIAL TIPS AND TIDBITS, and you don't know how important this post is to me... I am taking my father's military footlocker (about 65 years old) and turning it into a trunk at the bottom of a bed in what will go in what was once was my son's room. His grandfather was his hero... and my son is such a patriot, previously serving himself before he became a pastor.... ANYWAY, my son will be so touched to have is grandfather's footlocker in his room, especially when he sees that I am going to put an American flag (this is where your post comes in) on the top. This is exactly how I hope the top of the footlocker will look!
    Thank you and bless you and hugs and kisses to you for posting this!!! I am going to use your great tutorial and and hope that the flag comes out as good as yours!!!!!
    Thanks for joining TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS this week!
    Did you know that I have another linky party called ON THE MENU MONDAY? It's for recipes and menus. Please join in with your delicious apple pie! Link goes live Sunday at 8:00pm!
    Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andrea, I came back to show my husband your flag tutorial, and I saw that you had this apple pie post. Your photos are gorgeous, and I especially love the photo of your daughter beaming with the apple in her hand. Ah,the memories that the two of you are making! And I'm so impressed when you stated that you had a million other things that you needed to do but you took the time to bake the pie. Now you've put me in the mood to bake a pie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a gorgeous pie. I've never been able to make a decent pie crust.Your pics are beautiful and your blog is too. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That pie looks amazing, but I just a little afraid of making the crust. I did try your berry crumble recipe though and we loved it!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. You photos as always are just beautiful. The recipe sounds really good and pretty close to my Mom's apple pie recipe and she makes the best pies ever. Thanks for posting the recipe! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pie looks WONDERFUL and can't get over how long your little girls hair is getting..so beautiful!

    When my boys were young I used to bake pies alot and your recipe is similar or close to the same, in that I remember using butter and I think that real butter is the key to a good flaky crust...yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love to have an apple tree too, then I could make lots of yummy pies like yours! You sure have a cute little helper. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi!! I've discovered your blog and found a lot of things I like. you have a new follower

    http://marinainblue.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely summer tradition! Your pie came out so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmm delicious! I remember picking apples from trees in my Granny's garden, can't beat feshly picked apples and home made pastry. X

    ReplyDelete
  21. Andrea, I enjoyed this post very much but it made me hungry for apple pie with ice cream. Your daughter is a cutie pie, herself! I'm sure you and she had a memorable day spending time together picking those apples.-------------Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness your pie looks delicious! I agree your daughter is a real cutie and her hair is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nothing better than the smell of a fresh baked pie coming out of the oven. As I read on in your post I thought I might see applesauce being made. Visiting your blog always makes me reminisce my younger mom years and these same things I was doing with my children. We had a apple tree at our first little house and we would pick the apples and take them to a local apple farm. There they pressed them for us and made cider out of them. I would also make applesauce. Oh the things my husband and I did when our children were small too. It was fun, not a chore. I bet not only your husband but your girls too, enjoy all your home baked goodness! Your a great Mommy and wife.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, really enjoyed reading your blog. If you ever like looking at pretty fabrics, hopefully you will like ours.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. thank you for sharing this. i have made the crust recipe twice now-once for strawberry pie and tonight for a couple of quiches. it is now my favorite crust! the only thing i have noticed, is i barely use any water...it starts feeling too sticky to me. i almost wonder if the butter is starting to melt on me quicker...i mix the dough completely by hand. anyways...love the crust!! i can't wait to make another pie. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign